Carpentry & Joinery Question

Who would build a spiral staircase from landing to loft conversion + stud wall

The loft is already converted. The property developers I have just bought from will install the staircase for free BUT do I need a building/carpenter/architect/loft convertor to tell me what could fit into the small gap which is the landing and the hole into the loft which is about 4 times standard size? Then, as I want the loft to me a working room, I want to be able to close it off (shut the hatch/door) I think I will need a stud wall/door built but I dont know where to begin or who to approach.

I think I will need to seek some sort of planning permission so that I dont have a problem when coming to sell the property, also.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

- Thank you for your reply Roc Builders. I have already purchased the property, now I want to put in a spiral staircase to make it safer getting up and down as opposed to using their fixed ladder. Part of the condition of sale is that I would purchase the staircase (as I dont like the step ladder) and they, in turn, would fit it for me. I just need someone to advise what could work and make it for me. Would that be a carpenter or builder do you think?

3 Answers

If you are dealing with genuine property developers,ALL of your queries should be answered by them.You would also have no problem selling as ALL OF THIS CONVERSION would be under building control regulations.If you have any grey areas/unanswered questions,then i suspect that this conversion may not even be legal.
Hi Kim.You would be better off using a carpenter for the staircase installation.Im still failing to understand exactly what is going on here.If the conversion has been done properly,there would already be a staircase in place.A ladder of any kind would not be sufficient.Have you anything to say that the loft has been signed off by building control at various stages? These would be insulation,new floor joists,any structural changes to the roof,means of fire escape to name but a few.Without all of this you only have a flashy loft,it would be illegal to use it as a room.I may be wrong and this has all been done properly (hopefully) but without the staircase it cannot be completely signed off and by this stage you should have had lots of other things checked.Why not call the local building control to find out if they have this job on record? The mention of needing planning permission at this stage,makes me think that building control know nothing of it and you are being taken advantage of.

Answered 9th Oct 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

He's right, call your local building control.

Answered 11th Oct 2012

Bates Carpentry and Building

Member since 23 Jun 2011

Hi would take note of what Roc builders has said he is right on all accounts

Answered 16th Jan 2013

jmc property services

Member since 14 Jan 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions