Ask a tradesman
Can a new hob that is drawing 33.4 amps be supported by a 32 amp mcb?
I've been asked to investigate why a 32 amp MCB is tripping on a newly and proffessionaly installed Hob which is actually drawing 33.4 amps (clamp tester used). All cabling on the 6yr old new build is as per current regs.
The only thing I've noticed and got from the customer is that the cooker point switch can buzz unless she pushes the switch down firmly.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Handymen
this hob needs to be supplied with 10mm twin and earth with a 40 amp mcb RCD protected or RCBO, also it needs inspecting, testing and certificating and the work notified to LABC by a "Part P" registered electrician.
Answered 24th Sep 2012
Sounds like a loose connection at the switch causing a high resistance, and hence more current to be drawn.
As most BSEN60898 type b circuit breakers have a fusing factor of 1.25 a 32amp MCB would trip on overload at about 40amps, so its strange that its tripping at around 33amps.
Rather than rewire the circuit with 10mm cable its best to change the cooker switch first and see if that makes any difference and if not then replace the MCB for a 40amp type b.
Answered 20th Jan 2013
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- Is it a legal requirement to have a room themostat fitted with a new boiler/heating system?
- Is there a 3 PHASE inverter out there that can manage a possible output of up to 60.000 watts for a tanning shop?
- New Boiler - can I have a new boiler fitted if there is a a small gas leak?
- Can you replace a bathroom basin that has a full pedestal, with a basin that has a semi Pedestal ?