Ask a tradesman


Cooker repair

I need someone to repair a thermostat on an oven and repair an ignition switch on a gas hob in the same kitchen. Which tradesman should I use ?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

The ordering of the parts specific to your cooker and oven would be the issue with your query. You do get firms/electricians that specialise in such repairs but you need to be able to tell them what bits are required otherwise you will end up paying for at least two visits. You may be even able to order the parts yourself and get an electrician in to fit them if you do not feel confident yourself. If you do attempt yourself ensure that you turn the appliances off at the mains prior to any work and also beware that you may be invalidating any warranties. Good luck, Ian and Scott, Elecmax Electrical Services Ltd


Answered 19th Sep 2012

An appliance electrician should be able to sort this out for you. As there are quite a few different types of thermostat, its best to ensure that you have the make and model number for the oven.

If the oven is not heating up, its unlikely to be the thermostat and is more likely the element. If its burning food then its is most likely the element.

Hope this helps.


Answered 27th Oct 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories