Ask a tradesman

Damp Proofing

I have a damp problem-rising damp-penetrative, with walls having too much moisture according to a device i borrowed from a friend-i dont know what to do? should i replaster the whole house?

5 Answers from MyBuilder Damp Proofing Specialists

Best Answer

if the damp is from floor level up to a meter its rising damp if its higher then its penerating damp. The device you mentioned would be a damp meter as some tradesmen on hear dont know what its called. You need to rectify the cause before replastering if it is rising damp it may need injecting with dri-zone or a simler product then render and skim.

Well what other device would you use to check for damp ??? I'm off to check a damp job now with a with a brick tie as from what you say you can use any device.


Answered 3rd May 2011

First of all, you say you was given a device from a friend, what is this device, and do you know if it is given you accurate readings.
Before you start planning on replastering, I would suggest getting a damp proofing company out, they will then advise you what needs doing.
It may not be as bad as you think.
Place you request in Post a Job, on this site, you will get interest, advice and price.

DS Builders.
We do know what a Damp meter is, this wasnt suggested, as the poster stated she used a device, which could have been anything.
Most of these meters carried about by builders are cheap versions and innacurate.
If the poster wants it checked properly, get a damp specialist out.
After reading your negative feedback, its likley you would use a wall tie to measure for damp.
Where in your profile does it state your a dpc specialist.


Answered 15th May 2011

I would agree with DS Builders in that, get a specialist to look at the problem.

They would be able to establish wether or not it is indeed rising damp or simply bridging of the render at floor level.

A series of readings are taken with a Protimeter (industry standard meter) to establish wether or not salts are present. If present, all the render has to be removed upto 1.2m high from floor level or 300mm past last known reading.

This acounts for the whole length of the wall in which contamination of salts have been found within.

Drill and injection of a damp proof cream @ 100mm centres
Then comes 2 coats of render with a water proof additive (the jacket)
Finished with normally 2 coats of multi-finish plaster

The render at the bottom of the wall also needs to be cut away to prevent any future bridging.

Hope this helps!

Vern Mills


Answered 26th Apr 2011

Put a request on Post a Job on this site and get a specialist damp company local to you to visit you.



Answered 24th Apr 2011

The meter you need for an acurate reading is called a protimeter
We carry out all damp and timber treatment works and it sounds like rising damp
This can be cured by drilling and injecting a new damp proof course then hacking off the plaster to 1.2m high,, higher if the damp has gone past this
The wall will then need spraying with a salt neutraliser
When its dried out the first render coat will need a renderguard additive mixed in to prevent any moisture entering the property
After the second coat has been applied and allowed to dry then it can be skimmed
Please note: the walls cannot be decorated for up to 3 months as this is the basic drying time after damp proof works

Hope this has helped



Answered 6th May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories