Ask a tradesman
Expectations when having drive tarmaced
We are looking at having the drive tarmaced and are not sure what spec we should expect from the builders. We have about 70 sq meters to do; 24m of that is currently lawned, 8m is a border and the rest - 38m is old tarmac.
1. Will all 3 areas have to prepped the same?
2. How far should they dig down and what should they then put down if its to last?
3. What are the options for the edging and are some options better than others (for whatever reason)?
4. What are the other alternatives roughly comparable in price and are they as long lasting?
We live in the Leeds area. I haven't posted this on post a job because we are not at a point to proceed and I don't want to waste any traders time.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Driveway Pavers
The area if sound and weed free could be tarmaced over subject to levels, the other area will have to have the soil removed along with sufficient sub base to allow the installation of a membrane, 100mm compacted hardcore , and a minimum25mm tarmac, edgings can be plain or decorative but all do the same job, regards Terry.
Answered 11th Sep 2012
Manchester • Member since 14 Jan 2013 • 3 jobs, 100% positive feedback
In my opinion you would need at least 80mm of tar for it to be a good job!! I would advise of 100mm compacted stone , 50mm of base course and 30mm of wearing course. I would expect to pay around £40 per sq metre for this work
Answered 15th Jan 2013
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- Would sealing a bricks/block paving drive with polyurethane sealant be a good idea if the drive is sloped towards the house?
- The best method of edging between a current tarmac drive and a planned gravel drive extension?
- Unhappy With Contractors Work
- WHEN DOES THE 21 DAY PLANNING PROCESS START, WHEN I GIVE THE APPLICATION OR WHEN THEY PROCESS IT