Chimneys & Fireplaces Question

Chimney breast removed

We are selling our house- an Edwardian semi.
Our buyers survey has said that a fireplace has been removed from the kitchen, and advised them that they should investigate whether the remaining chimney breast has been supported. We don't know when this was removed, but know that it was done before 1984.

They have asked us to arrange for a structural engineer to look to see the extent of the work.

My question is, could anyone give us a rough idea of what would be involved in getting a structural engineer to have a look, and what the possible outcomes may be? If the correct works to remove the fireplace were not done, how much this would all cost us?

Thank you!

3 Answers

If the chimney it not visible downstairs but is upstairs the only place in which it can be supported is within your first floor void , surely not a big enough space to fit the gallows brackets needed to support the remaining chimney breast but they may have used a flitch beam (a profile of structural steel sandwiched between two timbers ) to support the load.
Your structural engineer will have to take floorboards up to check which of these if any have been used and will advise you of any works needed
Regards mtm

Answered 1st Sep 2012

Mtm building solutions

Member since 28 Aug 2012

you would ned to expose the areas where the chimney was terminated for the structural engineer to inspect,this will require lifting floorboards etc. then you will know what needs to be done to rectify any problems and a cost worked out, regards Terry.

Answered 2nd Sep 2012

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

Everything depends on what has been dun your house set up and weather or not your next door Neighbour has had same dun . Gallows brackets may have to be fitted . Its hard to price without seeing .

Answered 2nd Sep 2012


Member since 28 Aug 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Chimney & Fireplace Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions