Roofing Question

Best way to access roof on block of flats

My partner and I recently bought a flat on the 2nd floor. Above us is the roof which was converted into a 1 bedroom property. The roof space now has a dormer as a result. In heavy rain at the front of our flat there is a considerable amount of water comes in. The building is on a main street. If I am to get a tradesman to repair the defect on the roof what is the best way to access this? Scaffolding or cherry picker for example?


2 Answers

Best Answer

Solicitors letter to owner above would be far cheaper! Scaffolding will be several thousand pounds to errect and then weekly inspection costs on top as it needs to be inspected every 7 days.

Answered 25th Aug 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Without looking at the job it is impossible to say exactly what is required to correct the problem. While a cherry picker may allow you to see what the problem/solution is, scaffolding it the only reasonable solution to then correct any problem. Cost will depend on the area you are in as costs through out the country vary, as it is a block of flats the cost should generally be shared by all flats although getting everyone to agree to pay their share is an other nightmare. If it is not your roof then taking it up with the owner is a more cost effective solution. It may even only be the guttering that is defective. best bet post the job on the site and get a local roofer to asses the problem/solution.
good luck.

Answered 27th Aug 2012

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Roofers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions