Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Is it possible to just restore/replace the rotten timbers on an old window instead of replacing the whole thing?

4 Answers

Best Answer

Yes a section can be cut out and new timber fitted in its place a variety of joing methods can be used depending on the position, and location of the timber within the frame

Answered 21st Apr 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2010

No feedback

Depending on how bad the wood rot is yes it is possable to replace the timber

Answered 21st Apr 2011

Dennis Builders

Member since 21 Feb 2011

If its only small sections ,then yes you can replace the rotten wood, you can splice in new wood, treat it first plus existing.
And there are some good 2 part wood fillers that are easy to sand.
Repairing instead of replacing may give you a few more years.

Answered 21st Apr 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Yes, it is possible to repair wooden windows which have rot in them. The old is simply cut out to sound timber using a saw and chisel. Try and cut a step in the old wood to get a half lap joint with the new wood. Buy bits of timber and build up the profile by gluing and nailing suitable pieces together. Sometimes the timber sizes are not quite right and it is necessary to saw to the correct size. Angles for sills are made with a plane. Don't worry too much about exactly fitting the new to old, what is more important is the new is in line with the old. I usually glue and screw new to old, sinking the head of the screw one quarter to half an inch deep and filling hole with plug. Use wood filler to fill any gaps in the repair. It is a good idea to prime the wood facing brickwork and nailing a thin dpc to bottom of sill and round the ends and up a few inches. Use a stapler or galvanised felt nails to fix dpc. Plug the screw holes by chiselling the end of a thin square short length of wood (0.5inchx0.5 inch) to a slightly coned dowel , a little larger than hole. Glue end and hammer into hole, saw off and make good with plane or chisel. Repeat process for other holes. Don't forget to cut a rain drip groove in the underside of a replacement sill, use a tenon saw and a quarter inch chisel. This should be possible by anyone with ability to use a hand saw, chisels and a plane.

Answered 21st Apr 2011


Member since 17 Feb 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions