Painting & Decorating Question

What type of paint do i need for painting wood in a bathroom?

If I'm painting a wood (pine) bath panel does it need to be done in special "Kitchen and Bathroom" paint? Or as it's wood, do I need the "Woods and Metal" paint? Thanks for any help that's out there.

3 Answers

Best Answer

First step treat all knots with white knotting, using white knotting prevents showing through paintwork and tends to penetrate without leaving a raised surface like the darker knotting tends to do. Apply one coat of oil based primer using a quality brand rather than diy paints from diy stores (Dulux) is as good as any on the market. Ensure that you have coated up all edges and ends of open grained timber. Apply two coats of oilbased undercoat lightly rubbing down between coats with a fine abrasive sheet grade 140 or finer. Finally apply finishing coat of gloss/eggshell/satin oilbased and not forgetting those important edges to stop any moisture penetration!.

Answered 30th Aug 2012

lovedecor & smallworks

Member since 27 Jan 2012

First you need to treat the knotts with knotting liquid other wise they will bleed once painted. then use a wood primer/undercoat and a top coat of gloss,satin or egg shell they are all fine in bathroom areas as all vey tough.


Answered 21st Aug 2012

A lick of paint

Member since 13 Feb 2012

because of the water contact - using bath/basin - you should be using oil based paints :1 coat of primer ( for bare/unsealed wood )1 coat of undercoat & 1/2 topcoats ( gloss/eggshell)
ME homeimprovements

Answered 21st Aug 2012


Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions