Ask a tradesperson
Pros on cons of warm roof construction
We are exploring possibility to change our flat roof that is over 35 years old.
Type of the house: Terrace house.
1. What are pros on cons of warm roof construction? (Would be great to hear feedback from experience roofers)
2. How much heat it will bring to the house, if any after changing to warm roof construction?
3. Can you suggest in best practice detail measurements for each material needs to be used? (18mm plywood bottom layer, membrane, 120mm insulation, 18mm OBS 3 plywood top layer etc).
4. Vapour check brands what you recommend?
5. Is it true that insulation if not sealed smells really bad?
6. Where can you buy skylight or dome with kerb and frame?
2 Answers from MyBuilder Roofers
Farnham • Member since 6 Oct 2021 • 2 jobs, 100% positive feedback
1. Not many cons it is an effective why of insulating the room the roof is over. However it raised the roof height by about 120mm so if there are any low windows or balcony doors on to the roof it can be a problem
2. I’ve not had one on my home yet but I’ve been told by customers it makes a massive difference
3. The osb or ply at the base level should always been 18mm, 120 is the common thickness of insulating boards and depending on your membrane I prefer torch on felt. Felt can be applied straight into an purposefully made insulation board.
4. I use Hyload self adhesive vapour check but I’ve been on MOD sites where the spec was literally a sheet of polythene so I think they all work well
5. I’m not really sure what you mean but the boards are totally sealed yes. You shouldn’t be able to smell them
6. Sky lights and lanterns are a great way of bringing light into a room. The curb is made up of 4x2 timber that the light sites on. There are so many places to buy them from. If you are stuck go to a local roofing merchants and they will point you in the best direction
Hope this helps!
Answered 9th Oct 2021
Cheltenham • Member since 23 Dec 2021 • 21 jobs, 100% positive feedback
as the answer above is a true statement , adding to that you want a breathable membrane ,
you can get lanterns from eurocell , suntrade or stevenwoods who I use
also your going to want firings on the roof to divert the rain water otherwise the water will start pooling on your roof
I recommend GRP fibreglass roof it last a lot longer
hope this helps
Answered 30th Dec 2021
The type of 3 layer roof
A question for the experts. I have been looking through insurance and they seem to ask about type of flat roofs. I have a 3 layer...
Vapour Control Layer missing on new warm roof
Hello, I am hoping for some advice. I’ve just had an extension completed with a relatively large flat roof (70m2). The roof...
Interstitial condensation on new flat roof?
New flat roof as part of loft conversion. Flat roof area is about 4x5m. Construction is with a cold roof (architect specified...
Garden room roof joist span
Hi all, I’m in the process of building a garden room, I’ve got a 6x2 base with 4x6 edge. It’s ok ground screws....
Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery