Plastering Question

Damp in my kitchen

I need to get my kitchen replastered, however I have a damp problem. What sort of plaster should be used to overcome the damp issue? Had some tradesmen round and am getting different answers. Any other suggestions welcomed. Help please!

4 Answers

Best Answer

After the walls have been treated,they need plastering either with sand & cement render with waterproofer/salt inhibitor in the mix or pre-mixed plaster such as Thistle Dri-Coat or Tarmac Limelite.
Anything else used;plasterboard,gypsum based plaster hardwall,browning not suitable & probably wont validate any guarantee you may have.
Put your request on Post a Job and get a damp proofing specialist to visit you.

Hope this helps,


Answered 20th Apr 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Plastering wont solve the damp issue. There must be a water ingress somewhere along the wall. on most occasions is a leaky radiator, pipe or loose roughcast/render on the outside of the wall. The damp issue would have to be dealt with before plastering as this will simply come through the new plaster. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Answered 20th Apr 2011

smooth finish glasgow

Member since 28 Mar 2009

hi i would recomend tanking wall with sand and cement render with k 9 render mix this will stop any damp penatrating through plaster wall i have used this method in a lot of old proporties and it has dryed out lovely there might be a simple solution to damp problem check guttering fall pipes for leaks allso check brick work for repointing check damp course is not bridged with soil ect there should be a minimum 150 m mclear belowd d p c

Answered 20th Apr 2011

dpc builders

Member since 18 Nov 2010

Definately check what's causing the damp first! - if you've had tradesmen round, they should have investigated this?
Most common and obvious is leaky gutters - even small leaks! If it's been going on a while externally, there's usually a suspicious green moss on the ground and walls outside, mirroring the damp spots inside.
Once went to a job to investigate some suspected external damp and it turned out to be a pin hole in some failed copper piping under the boards which had been jetting water up the wall for months. Get it checked, it will save in the long run.
Whatever happens don't just let anyone plaster over it - claiming - It'll be reet! it won't.

Answered 23rd Jun 2011

Staryk Property Contractors Ltd

Member since 23 Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions