Ask a tradesperson

Tree Surgery

Tree in empty house next door

There is a silver poplar about 5foot away from our house in the garden next door. Its about 40foot high (estimate, its higher than our house) . The house is empty after the lady who rented it moved out after 60 years renting there. Weve been told the house is owned by people in London, we are in kent.
When its windy the entire tree moves, it sways about 1-2 inches all the way down the trunk. We are worried the tree will fall or damage our property. But its not ours, and we dont know how to contact the owner of the house.

What options do we have in this situation?

5 Answers from MyBuilder Tree Surgeons

Best Answer

Try a search on the land registry (£3) to find the owner, alternatively posting a letter may eventually make its way to the owner.


Answered 22nd Jun 2021

You need to contact your local council and inform them of the situation, thats all i can advice because they should have the information of the owner and until you have contact with the owner you cannot make a decision.


Answered 23rd Jun 2021

I totally agree with JMY-Build, it is £6. The land owners register is the way to go for sure.


Answered 29th Jun 2021

You will find the owner has post redirected so post a letter to next door via the post box and it may get to them.


Answered 16th Jul 2021

Agree with the above, you can also call empty property hotline for advice. The EHA runs an empty property hotline and email service (020 7022 1870; offering free independent advice to owners on ways of putting their properties back into use and for members of the public to report empty properties in England


Answered 10th Jul 2021

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories