Damp Proofing Question

Damp proof, replastering and rendering done 4 years ago: now cracks and inside wall black with mould.


4 years ago the previous owners of our 1850's end terrace had work done to the house to erradicate a damp problem. Now 4 years on there are large black circles under the wallpaper coming through. I have looked at the outside of the house and noticed that there are large cracks directly outside where the black mould has appeared. Some builders have had a look for me and said that the rendoring has not been finished off properly, one said it has been done in 2 halves causing the cracks and another has said that because the rendering has been done up to the top of the bedroom ceiling and not up to where the roof is the rain is hitting the wall and sitting on this ridge where the rendering has gone up to causing the cracks, the builder said the company who did it should have tiled this ridge so the rain would flow back down instead of sitting there.

I have spoken to the company who say they have no guarantee and it is our problem but if this is job that has been done to poor standards I will get others involved. We have only been in the house 10 months and this was not picked up by the surveyor. Would anyone be able to give some helpful advice please?

Thank you.

2 Answers

Best Answer

Dear Charlotte,

This is a unpleasant situation. If the original contractor is refusing to return and has provided no guarantee for the works it may be worth checking out if they are a member of any governing bodies ? PCA - Property Care Assoc - or FMB federation of master builders etc ?. Sometimes it may be worth contacting these associations to see if they will provide advice and assist you in getting a better response from the contractor regarding their works.

If this is not the case then the next step is to get the water ingress stopped. Water penetration over a long period of time can cause damage. So my advice would be to get in a PCA - Property Care Assoc member or a damp proofing specialist who has a qualified CSRT surveyor in to assess the situation.

Companies do charge for this service £60 for an inspection by a contractor up to £225 for a independent remedial surveyor.

You should be asking for the exact problem to be identified, how it is to be resolved, a quotation and a guarantee for 10-20 years. I would also suggest paying the extra to get a GPI policy which would be approx £50 to cover the works in case the contractor went out of business within the guarantee period.

Wishing you well for this project,

Answered 30th Jul 2012

South East Timber & Damp Limited

Member since 3 Feb 2012

Hi Charlotte,

Your house is of soild construction so it must have a breathable render so moisture can move from inside to outside. This moisture builds up from washing, cooking, cleaning and even occupants breathing. Soild walled properties need to be finished with a lime mortar and this will cure all damp issues if done correctly.

Kind regards
Ben Kerslake

Answered 16th Aug 2013

Carrington LIME

Member since 7 May 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions