Ask a tradesperson

Architectural Services

2 storey side extension

We are in the process of buying a 1930s semi (attached to another property on left hand side. Currently there is a detatched worse for wear garage immediately to the right side of the house with gaps each side, but not enough room to access the garden.
We are thinking of knocking this down and building a 2 storey side extension in its place, leaving a narrow path alongside the boundary fence to access the rear garden.
To the right side of this garage is the boundary fence. Beyond this, in the neighbouring garden is a wooden shed and rear garden of a house in the adjoingng road. The back of this house is at least 10 metres from the boundary fence.
We view this as less invasive to our adjoining neighbours than a rear extension, which we understand would be permitted development.
Our questions are: could we get this passed under permitted development seeing as the side extension borders a boundary fence and not a party wall or would it require full planning permission.
Footprint in region of 7m x no more than 2m, not to exceed depth of existing house.
If it does require full planning permission could we then add in side windows as will be 10 metres from nearest overlooked house?
I appreciate you reading,

2 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

It depends on many things. If the windows are to a bathroom and obscured it is not so much of an issue. If your neighbours windows are obscured, again not so much of an issue. If any of your neighbours have side extensions then it should be a good indication.
You could also do a search on the planning portal to see if any neighbours have tried getting a side extension.
Lastly as it is two storeys you will need planning.

Good luck


Answered 16th Mar 2021

Permitted devleopment would only allow a single storey side extension with a maximim height of 4m, therefore any design which proposed a 2 storey side extension would require a full planning application.

With regards to windows obscured glazing to non-habitable rooms such as bathrooms and hallways are liklely to be acceptable. However, if you wanted a window to a bedroom for example this woudl likely need to be above 1.7m from the floor.

I hope this helps.


Answered 20th May 2021

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories