Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Roof replacement with structural alterations

I am planning to replace my old roof and make some structural changes to get the loft space more usable for storage. Should I be hiring an Architect and/or a Structural Engineer to design the new roof, a carpenter and roofer to build it or is it simply a matter of hiring a builder or loft conversion specialist. Appreciate if someone could outline the process for me.

4 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

you will need a architect to do you drawings which meet with building regulations and a strugtural enigneer to calculate what size steels/ timber you need.


Answered 20th Jan 2021

Yes you will need a architect to draw you up some plans to meet building regulations And structural engineers to calculate how much materials that you are going to need to get a more accurate quotation on your job


Answered 21st Jan 2021

Nimal hiring two trades will be very expensive. You need to get in contact with a technical draughtsman which can deliver both elements for you as a one-stop-shop. We are a multi-disciplined practice which can help you achieve your design goals as you will need drawings to compile to planning policy, agent to submit your plans and deal with the council's case officers, building regulation drawings and structural calculations / structural detailing and then submission to building control. We at Discount plans Ltd can give you a quote, please advertise your listing on my builder and we will be happy to quote you.


Answered 24th Jan 2021

An architect or architectural technologist can draw up your proposal to meet building regulations, especially if you are considering a staircase to it. Building Control usually offers approval with conditions, and one of those conditions is usually structural calculations.

It all depends if it is just for storage or if it will ever have another use.

Good luck


Answered 2nd Feb 2021

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories