Painting & Decorating Question

Water stains on wallpapered wall

An internal wallpapered wall has got damp & stained probably from leaks via crakcs in the external render. The cracks have been repaired, and for now, there have been no further leaks. In time we will have to have the render replaced, at which time we will probably completely replaster this room. In the meantime however, I would like to spruce up the room & cover up the stains but with the minimal distubance & work. My options really are 1) paint a Stainblock on the current wallpaper & then repaper over the top or 2) just repaper ontop of the stained wallpaper

As a (fairly) temporary measure will either of these work - can Stainblock be applied onto paper and if not, how quickly are the stains likely to reappear through the new paper

Any advice greatfully received.

3 Answers

Best Answer

Stain Block will work fine, the best thing I use is just any oil based gloss this seals the damp patch then just paint over when dry.

Answered 17th Jun 2012

srr property maintenance

Member since 3 Nov 2011

i would recommend using a stainblock 2 xcoats applied with a mini roller sometimes oil based undercoat or gloss can be applied ( but may bleed thr ) using same method above once dry you will be able to paper over or paint but remember if papering over paper stagger your joints .

Answered 22nd Jun 2012

anthonybaker painters & decoraters

Member since 19 Apr 2012

A thinned down coat of pva will cure this.

Answered 17th Jun 2012

Proctor Decorating

Member since 6 Mar 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions