Flooring Question

What kind of underlay should i be using under engineered wood flooring which is being laid on a concrete floor in a first floor flat?

9 Answers

Best Answer

you need to use a silver backed foil underlay which will act as a damp membrane against the concrete and seal the edges with a foil tape hope this helps

Answered 15th Apr 2011

evergreen joinery services

Member since 3 Dec 2008

At D S Lewis Carpentry we always use a Damp proof Membrane folowed by either 3mm roll underlay or if you want a greater sound insulation the 10 mm thick slabs,but this of course will raise the floor height and may require the doors to be trimmed.

Answered 15th Apr 2011

D.S.Lewis Building and Carpentry Contractors

Member since 21 Nov 2008

if it is a newbuild, the concrete floor will be a certain thickness to avoid noise pollution to the flat below, you should use a dpm underlay to avoid damp, but being on the first floor, you should be ok with a basic foam underlay.
If it is an old building, you should use acoustic underlay stuck down with a tackifier adheshive.
either way,
I would check your lease or with your maintenance company and your neighbour, if you are allowed wooden floors.
I once lived below someone who had wooden floors, i moved out! it drove me mad.
however, their sub-floor was floor boards.

Answered 14th Apr 2011

Total Floors

Member since 13 Jan 2011

Hi, depending on what the buildings lease says usually you would need an acoustic underlay. We use Timbermate excel which is 3.75 mm thick rubberised underlay with a moisture barrier attached to the underside. It's sound reduced up to 20db. A dpm is only usually required after a dpm reading has been taken and the moisture content within the floor is more than 11%



Answered 20th Apr 2011

The London Wood Flooring Co.

Member since 28 May 2010

if you are talking about underlay this would be a floting floor(like laminate) so I would fit the same underlay, to fit anything more substantial may affect your door heights,regards Terry.

Answered 14th Apr 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

when i fitted that kind of floor in my living room i used a underlay that was like rubber. it had foil on one side which went to the floor. i think they use something more or less the same but it as like a sticky surface u peel bk and stick the floor to so i was told last yr from floors to go. did the place u brought the flooring from not sell u any or advice u on what to use. if u still need help try www.diy.com b&q's web site is gd way to find what ur lookin for plus will give a idea of cost. then just shop around it maybe cheaper else where.

Answered 14th Apr 2011

william bradley

Member since 8 Mar 2011

any type you like but put a damp proof membrain down first.

Answered 14th Apr 2011

S M Joinery

Member since 16 Nov 2009

You should use a underlay called "Timbermate"

Answered 14th Apr 2011

Perfect Fit Flooring Services

Member since 11 Apr 2009

usally you just lay the flooring onto 3mm ply board

Answered 14th Apr 2011

ridgewel groundworks & hard landscaping

Member since 14 Dec 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Flooring Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions