Ask a tradesman

Gas Work

Do i always need to have a gas safe engineer look at my boiler?

I have a problem with the overflow on my boiler but I don't think that it involves anything to do with gas. Can I just get a plumber to take look at it?

10 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers

Best Answer

Yes you must use a gas safe engineer, in order to rctify the problem the boiler cover will need to removed.
If its the condensate discharge pipe this connects to the combustion chamber and if not fitted as to the manufactures instructions it could leak flue gases.
If its the pressure relief valve and you fit the wrong valve, this could then damage the expansion vessel and cause high pressure in the boiler.
So the real answer is dont take a chance employ GAS SAFE engineer
Many thanks Dave


Answered 17th Feb 2011

hi,use a plumber who is gas safe engineer,that way you are covered in all angles.thanks nick


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Hi there , my advice would be to use a gas safe plumber, when dealing with boilers you can never be to carefull.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

With all the Condensate Pipe Freezes over Christmas Period, I was shocked to see call outs by Brxxx Gas "Engineers" who just cut into the overflow pipe(wrong size 20mm) and then we wre going out to put right there so caled "repairs".

Thats the main problem people who fit the Condesate Pipe in wrong size pipe to small which the freezes minimum should be 42mm Solvent Weld pipe for external Condensate Pipe work minimum Really, Insulated and if you want it never freeze Install Trace Heating not that expensive anymore.

Any was shocked how BG were leaving cut into pipe as if that solved the problem, not to mention as previous mentioned the Condense Pipe work if not correct can cause sever Flue Gas problems which can potentially fatal!

As other said the minute you get involved with a Gas Appliance be Safe- Use Gas Safe Registered Engineers Only thats the Law.

Hope this helps.
Merseyside Heating & Plumbing


Answered 17th Feb 2011

you do not need a gas safe engineer if it is an electrical problem, you need an electrician


Answered 18th Feb 2011

It is highly necessary to use a Gas Safe Registered engineer as the problem resides witin the boiler.

To carry out the repairs, the boiler casing needs to be opened and access to the defective part reached. This does not only involve the removal and replacement of the defective part but a gas tightness test needs to be carried prior to carrying out the repairs.

It sounds like your pressure relief valve is defective so, access is within the boiler is necessary.


Answered 20th Feb 2011

yes,you would be better off getting someone who knows the ins and outs of your particular boiler and gassafe registered.[shop around on websites]..thanks


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Gas safe all the way you only have one life so dont take chances.


Answered 18th Feb 2011

A good Gas Safe guy should be able to cope with everything on your boiler,DONT use non registered guys you will be sorry.


Answered 5th Mar 2011

you must use a corgi reg plumber to inspect gas boilers as if anything goes wrong you will have an inspection cert to go back at them if you use a non reg plumber there are no come back and you will be leaving yourself wide open hope this helps malc.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories