Electrical Question

Storage heater socket

Hi, how do I convert a redundant storage heater socket to an ordinary socket for television, lamps, etc? The storage heater has 4 fuses one for each socket, thanks

1 Answer

Best Answer

Due to part P of the building regulations, to stay legal and avoid any fine, you need to notify your local authority of your intention to carry out DIY electrical work in the home and pay their appropriate fees.

Once you have consent to proceed, you can arrange with your electricity supplier to call to site and de-energise the supply so that you can re-route the off peak consumer unit (storage heater fusebox) meter tails to some new 60amp henly blocks and then connect in the 24hour supply meter tails to them aswell. Once this has been done, you can then get the local authority inspector round to inspect, test and certify the work you have done.

Once you hve the installation cert/test results from the LABC inspector you can fax these to your electricity supplier to call back and re-energise the electricity supply. - A very costly and long winded process indeed!

Therefore far cheaper option would be to hire a part P electrician to do the work as it can all be done and it can be self certified by them in less than an hour.

Answered 28th May 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions