Ask a tradesman


What type of planning permission is needed for a small extension


2.8m out from building
3.5m wide
single storey
70s built property

7 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Best Answer

Have a look at our website on the following link and follow the planning portal link at the bottom of the page.


Answered 12th Apr 2011

normally its permitted build just need building regs and inspections by building control


Answered 12th Apr 2011

Dear Wayne.
Depending on size under 3 meters to the out side of the wall you could build under building regs, that would mean you could start with in a few weeks. If you required full planning the fees would be greater and it would take 6 to 8 week to get full planning.

Regard Roy Buckley


Answered 13th Apr 2011

dear wayne,
under current planing laws you dont need planning for you rear extension because its under the 3 m out size.

mark tunbridge.


Answered 12th Apr 2011

Hi there,
Yes MTBUILDINGSERVICES are right - unless your floor area has previously been expanded as there is a limit to how far you can go without planning permission.
Thanks Paul - brick2house


Answered 16th Apr 2011

You need to state if the struvcture is on the back or front of the house, facing onto a highway or footpath, to determine planning permission. There are other rules as well, but it's all down to position.
If the structure is going to be just a porch, then you won't need building regs, but if it's an extension then you will.



Answered 13th Apr 2011

hi you would probably do it on a building notice where you do a basic drawing of proposed extension send it to local planning they is a fee for this it normally takes about 3 weeks for a decision work will be inspected by building inspector at difrent stages


Answered 17th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories