Ask a tradesman


Is it a legal requirement to be registered or qualified to part p to exchange an electric hob, like for like?

9 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Part P is part of the building regulations and is only used for new installations. These include adding or extending circuits in an existing dwelling as the addition is a new installation.

Any work in a house that requires wiring to be carried out will need to be notified to building control (Part P d) however changing an item of equipment or an accessorie like a socket front or a switch does not require notification.

Most electricians are now part p registered as the legislation above means there is not a lot of work they can complete without being.

The only exception to these rules is the fuseboard or consumer unit being replaced which would need to be notified.

To answer the question , no it doesnt need to be notified but it should be done by a competant electrician.


Answered 16th Apr 2011

Hi there,for your own safety any electrical work should be completed by a competent electrican.
Although for the exchanging of a hob as like the changing of a socket/switch etc it is not mandatory for you to be part p because you are not altering or adding to a circuit or installing a new circuit,but i recommend you use a company you can trust.
I hope this helps.


Answered 11th Apr 2011

Replacements and repairs are not notifiable under part p regs


Answered 22nd Apr 2011

If its a like for like, as in same wattage etc then it shouldnt require notification. If it requires changing the mcb/rcbo due to a different load then it will require notification.


Answered 11th Apr 2011

Yes as any electrical work in a kitchen needs to be done by someone who is part p qualified .....


Answered 11th Apr 2011

As rule yes but it depends on you current installation. If new hob comes with a plug attached and old hob uses a socket then no as you can treat it like a fridge and swap it yourself. If it needs wiring into an existing fused spur then it is ambiguous as it is like for like change assuming same wattage. I would get a qualified sparky in this case who is Part P registered so he can certify work to your local council's building control department


Answered 21st Apr 2011

No you do not have to part p but it will req a part p electrician to inspect the work and pass it or your local council will send some one to inspect it ethe way you will have to pay for the visit


Answered 11th Apr 2011

changing a hob like for like is not notifiable under part P, but should still be carried out by a competent person, regards Terry.


Answered 11th Apr 2011

affraid the kitchen is classed as a special location, therefore you have to be part p registered to do any electrical work, even if swopping like for like, it will need to be protected by an rcd so that has to be checked, a registered electrician cannot legally test other peoples installation work other than on a periodic inspection so you cant do it yourself then get an electrician to " pass it off" - hope this helps


Answered 15th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories