Conversions - General Question

Coverting a house into 2 flats

So I am looking for a house to convert. Upstairs flat for me and downstairs flat for my disabled father. The house that i am most interested in has a lot of the work i need done. The main thing that would need doing is a kitchen for me upstairs. What do i need to do? do i need planning permision? what sort of plumbing would i need? how much would it be?

Many thanks

1 Answer

Best Answer

Providing you are keeping the house as one unit then internally you can pretty much do what you like. If you want to stick a 2nd kitchen in upstairs for yourself then providing you can run electrics and plumbing wastes to that location then there should not be a problem.

Financially its probabley not a good idea.If you keep the house as one unit then it will only devalue it adding a kitchen upstairs. if you want to divid the house into two flats ( ie spilt the house title deeds to two flats )then this is major work. You will require planning, have to demostrate enough parking and amenity space for each flat etc. You will then have building regs , having to comply with sound / air test etc, which will involve removal of all the floors and lower ceilings.

Personally leave the house as is , and just share a suitable house with your father. or if you require independance, then by two flats or maisonettes, one above the other. Converting houses into flats, unless you get the house as a derelict shell for cheap money, does not make finacial sense.

Answered 1st May 2012

MS Projects LTD

Member since 18 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions