Ask a tradesman

Conversions - General

Moving internal wall - do i need any planning permissions?

Kitchen in the council estate flat (leasehold) is separated from the living room by a very thin wall, partially made of glass in timber frame. I want to move it by approx. 1m to enlarge the kitchen and make the new wall more solid and sound proof. Do I need any planning permissions if the flat is in the ex-council block of flats and is a leasehold? If yes, what would be my first steps?

I already tried to ask the appropriate departments of the council, but they are not helpful. Are there any private companies dealing with this? Thank you

5 Answers from MyBuilder Conversion Specialists

Best Answer

you need the councils permission,go to your local councils website or your town hall. If it was a private dweling you wouldnt need permission.


Answered 8th Apr 2011

Provided the building isn't listed, planning permission need not be sought. However, permission will be required from the freeholder and building control will need to be informed if the wall is load bearing.


Answered 22nd Apr 2011

yo dont need planning permission if not listed building, but you will need building regulations approval if loadbearing (doubt it is from description) and definately need to get the freeholders permission.


Answered 8th Apr 2011

no but you will need building control


Answered 8th Apr 2011

If its a Council property then you will need to ask their permission. If a private flat, then no permission is needed. You will however need builing regs as you are changing the internal layout. Building regs can be downloaded through the local Council website or your builder can arrange it.


Answered 8th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories