Gas Work Question

Old capped off gas pipe - can this be re-connected?

A 1930s mid terrace maisonette above shop, in the understairs cupboard there is a an old gas pipe sticking up through the floor, capped off. It looks old perhaps 1950s installation at a guess. It has been out of commission for at least 20 years. I now want to bring gas back to property for central heating. Is it possible this pipe run could be re-used? The alternative may involve digging up the High Street to run a pipe up to the front of the shop. Outside the whole street is pedestrianised. I have looked at the National Grid website and need to pay £450 to apply for quote for them to come out and inspect how much it will cost to run in a gas supply. I am not sure if this will be worth spending the money if it turns out I am likely to have to pay thousands to have the High Street dug up! The two neighbouring maisonettes seem to have a gas pipe leading up the front of the building, however in both cases neither of these pipes run up our shared wall, ie the left side neighbours pipe is running up the wall on their far left the right side neighbour's pipe comes up on their right. Do you think it is worth paying for the quote or if use of the old gass pipe may be possible?

Many thanks

2 Answers

Best Answer

Dont pay any money, call any gas supplier we tried southern gas networks who are our supplier. They came out for free had a look amd then told us our gas supply was live (last owner removed gas meter 25 years ago) they uncapped it and fitted a meter all for free, Only too happy to now make money from us buying gas....

Answered 29th Apr 2012

Local patios and driveways

Member since 24 Jan 2012

YOU NEED TO CONTACT YOUR GAS TRANSPORTER! they are the gas emergency service for your area, NOT who you pay your bill to. they will come out and test this standpipe!!
Once they say its live, they can quote to put an ECV the supply and then you need to contact who you want to supply you with gas,EDF/NPOWER/BRITISH GAS ETC. give them your ref no from the gas transporter,and they will fit a meter!
THEN Get a gas safe engineer in
explain what you want/what you've got
cup of tea
he will advise
we can't guess on here put postcode in or post job on here,but may be a small charge if you take up too much of the engineers time. we're not free

Answered 28th Apr 2012

kelly plumbing Heating & gas

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions