Painting & Decorating Question

What can i do if i'm not happy with a decorating/wallpaper job

Hi, I have had a small flat decorated, walls plastered, laminate flooring put down and one room wallpapered and I am not happy at all with some of the work done, in fact all I'm happy about is the flooring. The wallpapering is atrocious with errors that seem to me to just be basic. The painting of the doors surrounds and skirting is being rushed as they are behind schedule as I think initially they under estimated the time it would take, but I dont see this as being my fault. The wallpaper cost me over £300 (6 rolls of Harlequin) and I was charged £180 for the papering, the whole job was quoted at £2150, £500 of which I have already given as a deposit. Where do I stand on saying that I'm not paying for the ppapering and I want to deduct money to buy this paper again, do I have a problem?

edit : I have a written quotation on the back of a business card if that counts?

I did hire them from Mybuilder and they had great feedback, reviews and pictures.

4 Answers

Best Answer

Your best just to have a word with him. It's hard as a trader when customers don't tell you if there is a problem. As your un happy just speak to him if he is a honest guy he will be understanding. In future put all jobs on hear and get a trustworthy trader.
Hope you get it sorted

Answered 25th Apr 2012

srr property maintenance

Member since 3 Nov 2011

pay cheap pay twice me ol son ,those who go for cheap quotes like this always ends in disaster and a sob story ,pay the proper price for professional decorators and this problem would not arise

Answered 25th Apr 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Is there any form of wrriten quotation or contract? as you may have some recourse under the doorstep selling regulations.

Please see;

Also if you live alone, its worth having someone with you when you break the news to the contractor that your not happy with the work, as people can turn nasty where money is concerned.

Answered 25th Apr 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

if they are a member of a proffesional body ie dulux select or the bda (british decoraters association ) you can go to them for a independant advice on this matter but i would advise speaking to them first and showing them your concerns hope this helps

Answered 26th Apr 2012

anthonybaker painters & decoraters

Member since 19 Apr 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions