Windows Question

Fensa certificate

We had new sash windows installed in 2007, specified to be built in accordance with building regs (glass, trickle vents etc). The windows were not installed by a FENSA or CERTASS installer. The windows were installed as part of other general building works and a building notice was submitted to Building Control.

Some time after the initial installation (2011), we had the sash windows draught-proofed and then asked Building Control to inspect the windows and issue a certificate of completion. The building control officer asked for paperwork proving that the glass is low energy in accordance with Part L. No paperwork was issued by the firm who supplied the windows, nor do they have our original order paperwork. The glass is imprinted with a B.S stamp BS EN 12150 but this doesn't tell me much.

We will shortly be selling our house and need to obtain a completion certificate. What options are available to us?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi. When you had the main building works carried out, if this was under inspection by building control then a completion certificate should have been issued, more than likely to the builder. There should be a record of this certificate with the local council under your address. I would pursue this with building control. The other option you may have is to take an indemnity insurance which I had to do a few years ago which cost me around £20.00 , alternatively you can say that the windows were in when you moved in?

Hope this helps

Midland Build

Answered 25th Apr 2012

Midland Build

Member since 13 Apr 2011

I would suggest you contact the installer. It is their responsibility to ensure you have the necessary paperwork. We have a detector which can confirm that the double glazed sealed units have a low emmissivity coating and there are also detectors which can confirm the depth of the cavity spacing. Your best bet is to contact a reputable double glazing installer and see if they have such a detector and if they would be willing to confirm in writing that the glazing complies with part L. They will charge you for this but at least it is a way forward. If the glazing does not have a low emmissivity coating (e.g. Pilkington K-Glass) then you have a problem and you would have to ask the officer for advice as to the best way forward.

I hope this helps



Answered 25th Apr 2012

Inner World Design & Build Ltd.

Member since 19 Sep 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions