Electrical Question

Do you have to have work signed off when a socket is moved

Socket is in a part partion wall. We are having the full partion wall put back up so the socket will be moved around 6ft along the wall.

2 Answers

Best Answer

not reportable under part P but should be tested and a minor works cert issued.

Answered 24th Apr 2012

ICM Electrical Services Limited

Member since 10 Nov 2011

If the cable is cut, extended or joined etc, then the circuit needs to be tested as per Bs7671:2008 requirements and a Minor Electrical Works Certificate issued detailing the test results.

It may also be necessary to protect the cable inside an earthed steel conduit inside the partition wall or have an RCD fitted (if one is not already installed), this is in order that the socket in its new position complies with both BS7671:2008 and part P of the building regulations.

The work will also need notifying to building control if its in the kitchen!

Hope this helps, please click on "like" if it does.

Answered 24th Apr 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions