Extensions Question

Party wall act and negotiation

Are there any builders out there that sort out the Part Wall Act on behalf of there clients? If so how do you go about this and if negotiation fails between neighbours what then?

2 Answers

you must get a solicitor to do this as it is legally binding as it affects both properties,both parties then have to sign

Answered 23rd Apr 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

The Party Wall Act only obliges you to serve notice on your neighbour- if they consent to the work that may be all you have to do. There is a very clear guidance booklet available on the planning portal (under the 'do I need permission' tab) which even has template letters for serving notice so that you can do this yourself. Your neighbour can however they can insist on getting a 'Party Wall Award' drawn-up and Party wall surveyors would have to be appointed to represent both sides at your expense (and they are very expensive!). This service is provided by a range of professionals and is actually pretty straight forward.

Answered 29th Apr 2012

Only Extensions Ltd

Member since 17 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions