Landscape Gardening Question

Neighbour won't cut his tree.

My neighbour has Leylandii (cypress conifer) trees along our boundary which are blocking the light and view from our house but he will not reduce their height, what can I do?

7 Answers

Best Answer

hack off the tree thats overhanging your side. then throw it in his garden. because if you throw it away yourself. you can be done for theft. we had this problem with my neighbour. it looked so horrible that he chopped it down in the end. roy.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

northview property mainenance

Member since 13 Sep 2010

Hi yes it is ok to cut the branches that are over hanging level with your boundary line and you are in your rights to throw branches back on to neighbours garden

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 8 Dec 2009

hi cut the branches down that overhang your boundry the be sure to throw them back over on to there property if the throw them back they can be prosicuted for fly tipping malc

Answered 17th Feb 2011

ludlow home and garden imimprovements/ludlow fencing

Member since 13 Apr 2009

The council will advise that if the natural lighr is beaing stopped then by law the trees must be reducer in height.
There is a law retaining to this so citozen advise should be able to help , dont under any circumstans cut anything down,"it could get messy and expensive".
You have the right to trim anything that overhangs yoiur boundry line.
regards Ashley Officer

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 3 Mar 2009

You are by law able to cut back anything that overhangs your property boundary,but that does not alleviate the problem of the height of the trees,I suggest you contact your nearest citizens advice bureau or your solicitor as to what legislation this comes under and what you can do about it

Answered 18th Feb 2011

RJC Landscapes

Member since 30 Apr 2010

No feedback

hi,what you need to do is ring your local building control office and see what advice they give you.don,t attemp to cut it,because all sort of legal arguments could start.go down the legal route first.thanks nick

Answered 17th Feb 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

No you can't cut these tree,s down.But if you find that any of the trees is overhanging the boarder line you can cut them back to the can also ask your neighbour if you can take some Hight off them and you are willing to pay for this to be done, if he say,s yes to this ,ask him to give you this in writing . The reason why he may not like it after it has been done.

Answered 18th Feb 2011

DJ Property Trades

Member since 1 Oct 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Landscape Gardeners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions