Stonemasonry Question

How can i repair/waterproof front steps to my property

Hello, I have a typical London terraced house with seven steps running up to the front door. They are in very bad repair, the stone is v brittle in places and water is leaking into the storage area underneath.

I see similar properties that have been repaired with a thick grey covering but have no idea what it is and whether it is the best solution ?

Can somebody recommend a solution ?
What type of tradesmen should I ask to so this work,I have had zero responses on my builder ?

Thanks in advance,

3 Answers

It's a waterproof. Resin by the sounds of it which they paint on
Thank you

Answered 18th Apr 2012

M.C.R Direct Brickwork

Member since 27 Jan 2012

Hello the thick grey covering is probably a water proof paint used as a temporary solution. On the description you have given me, I would get a builder to take out all the damaged bricks/stone and replace with new. If ALL the steps are damaged I would replace all the steps with new. With water penetration it is best to take it right back and start again. I hope this is ok.

Answered 18th Apr 2012

Lester woods general builders ltd

Member since 8 Jul 2008

The thick grey covering you have seen is asphalt which is a commonly used and very effective sollution to the problems you describe.

Answered 18th Apr 2012

Flannelly Construction

Member since 10 Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Stonemasons who can help you with your project.

Search all questions