Handyman Question

Fitting a cat flap

I'm thinking of getting a cat flap fitted in a glazed window. Can a handyman do this or should I get a window fitter or glazer to do it?

7 Answers

Best Answer

If its a double glazed door consider removing lower half of door and replacing it with a solid panel which then makes the task of fitting a cat flap very simple. It is a very stright forward job to remove the lower panel in a upvc door.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Chapman Fencing & Landscaping

Member since 17 Nov 2010

depends on the glass. if it is a double glazed window get a expert as you will break the vacum. if its a single pain you could do it. but not if it is lamenated. basically get a glass specalised to do it. n.p.m roy

Answered 17th Feb 2011

northview property mainenance

Member since 13 Sep 2010

Definately use a glazier if cutting glass or use a plain panel insert for the cat flap,and if you change your mind or sell the house you can replace the existing panel.mark

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 28 Sep 2010

hi,if it his going into glass then get a glazer to it,because he will have all the right tools to do the job.thanks nick

Answered 17th Feb 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

Definately use a glazier or a double glazing company.
Van Biene Builders

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Van Biene Buildres

Member since 26 Jan 2009

Get a window fitter to come out, measure up, suppy and fit new glass panel with cat flap.
Not an expensive job.
You can also get small electronic device that fits to cats collar, that only opens cat flap for your cat and not all the neighbours.
Nephew got them on his 2 cats, problem solved

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

you will have to have a new double glazed unit made up by a glass shop they will have to have the catflap with them as they willcut the circle out on the glass first then assemble the 2 glass panels forming a new vacuum sealed unit if you have a plastic lower panel then a carpenter can do this very easilly ive fitted many of them with no problems

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Handymen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions