Ask a tradesman

Chimneys & Fireplaces

Gas fire isolation valve

I'm preparing my house to rent out on the day the gas checks were done the surround around the gas fire couldn't be removed ,he isolated it ,is this good enough legally??

2 Answers from MyBuilder Chimney & Fireplace Specialists

Best Answer

Was it isolated because it was deemed dangerous? If so no.may be a new engineer out.. as test need to be done .unless not used at all.
Mark innes


Answered 27th Feb 2020

If you are letting the property then I would recommend that the gas supply to the fire is permanently isolated, i.e. the pipe to the fire should be capped off. Isolating it simply by turning off a valve risks the new tenant being able to simply turn it back on again.
Also, you should get a Gas Safe Certificate from the Engineer prior to letting the house. There are other requirements too such as:
- EPC certificate
- Electricity certificate
- Smoke, CO and fire alarms
- Fire extinguishers & fire blanket
- Maybe an HMO licence if there are more than a certain no. of unrelated tenants.
Good luck.


Answered 23rd Mar 2020

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories