Conversions - General Question

Can i ask for building reg. approval?

Hello, I am a freeholder of a Georgian terrace house (grade II listed) comprising six flats. A leaseholder bought a basement flat some years ago, and completely refurbished it by using his brother (a one-stop builder/carpenter/electrician/plumber). He stripped it right back to the walls and foundations, insulated everything and effectively modernised the flat. Most importantly, he removed the window, and the brickwork below the window, and filled this space with modern uPVC french doors. I understand the leaseholder applied for retrospective planning approval, but he has never provided me with the equivalent of a building regulation approval, or some form of structural certification. I am concerned that the change of the window to french doors may affect the whole wall (the house is 4 stories high).

The leaseholder is now selling the basement flat. Can I ask for the works to be approved to ensure that there is no long-term structural risk to the house? Or will the new owner become liable for any future damage if it is deemed that the cause was the brother's workmanship?

I really do not know how to find out my rights (or obligations as the freeholder/landlord) as between the six leaseholders, we manage the house ourselves as we cannot afford a management company's expenses.

Thank you ever so much in advance. Mehul

1 Answer

Best Answer

with all listed buildings the work must have planning consent , listing consent,and building regs or else it is deemed illegal, if you know when the work was done then check it has the above approval although planning or listings will not most certainlly not allow pvc windows to be installed in a grade 11 listed building ,as with any listed building it must be like for like and it is the owners resposiblity to correct any missguided additionas , fist port of call is planning or english heritage who take breaches very serious.
the work is most likley ilegal and has indeed devalued the whole property

best of luck alex

Answered 5th Apr 2012

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions