Damp Proofing Question

Which tradesman?

Hi, I'm in the process of buying an Edwardian property. I've recently had structural survey completed which has advised a rising damp issue but also states the floor boards are springy and that further ventilation is required on the ground floor. For the rising damp I know which trade to use but for the ventilation and springy floorboards I don't know who I should contact for quotes. Can anyone help?

4 Answers

Best Answer

For both the rising damp and the timber/ventilation issues you should contact a damp proofing company. 'Springy' floor boards are quite often a sign of rotten and sagging joists and boards which could be caused by dry rot, wet rot or wood boring insect infestation. All of which thrive in moist, un-ventilated areas and all of which are part of the works routinely carried out by damp proofing specialists. Hope this helps. Regards, Dave Mckay, Three counties damp and groundworks.

Answered 5th Apr 2012

Three counties damp and groundworks

Member since 5 Apr 2012

Trade / A damp proofing specialist.

Answered 8th Apr 2012

lb waterproofing

Member since 1 Apr 2010

Hi there. A carpenter should be able to sort out the floor boards and rotten joists which are making them springy. You should first have the damp treated and vented (by a damp proof specialist) to prevent any damage to the new floor boards and joists. Hope this proves helpful. Mike @ MJT Construction.

Answered 5th Apr 2012

MJT Construction

Member since 1 Feb 2012

Agree with Three Counties damp and ground works.
Suggest you get a PCA member as they can provide a certificate when the survey carried out by a CSRT qualified surveyor to hand back to your mortgage provider regarding any necessary works and guarantees.

Answered 10th Apr 2012

South East Timber & Damp Limited

Member since 3 Feb 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions