Electrical Question

Consumer unit

My consumer unit has no "spare" to accomoate my new hot tub,do I need to replace it?

6 Answers

Best Answer

Is your consumer unit fitted with an RCD ? this will be the large switch with a test button on. If not then your new circuit would have to be RCD protected anyway to keep in line with the regs BS7671, there are a couple of options you can take the obvious is a new consumer unit supplied and fitted and certificated at around £350-£450 dependant on location, the second is slightly cheaper it would involve an independant RCD unit totally seperated from the rest of your installation and this way the only cert would be on the circuit in question. Either way you should probably call the electricity board to fit a local isolation switch this will save you and the electrcian time they put it in for free, If you already have one obvioulsy dont bother. Another probably your first option would be to find out via an electrcian if all your circuit breakers are being used and not just filling the blanks. Hope this helps ya.

Answered 4th Apr 2012

Triumph Electrical.

Member since 2 Apr 2012

Not not nornally no, a small additional 1 or 2 way RCD type unit can be added adjacent to the main consumer unit quite easily.

If however your existing consumer unit does not have dual RCD's and MCBs (e.g. it still has the old fuse wire type fuses) then now maybe a good time to upgrade the whole unit anway to one that meets the current 17th edition wiring regulations.

Answered 5th Apr 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

You can add a 1/2 way consumer unit adjacent to your consumer unit if you have room, but it must be RCD controlled

Answered 5th Apr 2012

Evergreen Electrical Ltd

Member since 27 Jul 2009

As I did tell you on the phone, with the free advise I gave you you do need an rcd to control your hot tub ! As an NICEIC approved contractor why would I tell you otherwise ?!!

Answered 8th Apr 2012


Member since 8 Oct 2008

yes upgrade to a 12 or 14way

Answered 4th Apr 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Hi seychelles_48,
You could have a seperate small consumer unit to power your hot tub, with RCD and RCBO protection, which would be cost effective and would save on having a new consumer unit and the full testing.
Good luck with your hot tub !

Answered 4th Apr 2012

Watts N Homes

Member since 17 Feb 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions