Driveways Question

Paving area known to waterlog

I would like to have my back garden covered in that concrete that is printed to look like paving (sorry! I dont know the name of that!) I have quite a high clay content in the soiled areas, which cause waterlogging when grassed... and am wondering what would need to be done to prevent any problems with the concrete?? Ive decided to use concrete instead of paving, as I hoped it would end waterlogging problem, and prehaps be less costly?? As well as quick to lay? How much should I expect to pay? (My garden is a rectangle of about 14ft x 20ft) To be honest, Ive no idea about such things and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so so much in advance. Youre all lovely to be on here offering your advice to us mere folk! :)

3 Answers

Best Answer

i install this material and the cost to do an area this size is about £2000
hard to say when i havent seen it but there has been jobs where ive used a storm drain to route the water. it isnt a problem to be honest...

Answered 30th Mar 2012

hyram construction

Member since 21 Mar 2012

If it were me i would address the water issue before doing any work. A land drain can be installed, but even adding drainage to any surface like PIC (pattern imprinted concrete) still isnt a fix as you will have problems removing the water from that, a soakaway is unlikely to work as, in general, water logged gardens tend to show deep heavy clay, so deep you wont be able to create a soakaway low enough which is your problem. Get a good groundworker to come and give advice, put a job on and get three quotes. That would be a great start.
Good luck

Answered 2nd Apr 2012

Local patios and driveways

Member since 24 Jan 2012

Imprinted concrete has to have an absolutely rigid underlying sub-base for there to be no future movement. It seems very difficult to guarantee this with a water-based problem affecting your garden. Perhaps view alternatives that allow the final finished surface to flex slightly (Lay York/indian sandstone on a mortar base with large gaps that can be filled with gravel. Or use some form of block paving which is also inherently 'un-crackable').

Answered 9th Dec 2015

The Secret Garden

Member since 18 Sep 2015

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Driveway Pavers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions