Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Replacing rotten door threshold

The door threshold on the door to my back garden has turned rotten and mice have managed to bite through it so I need to replace it. I wasn't sure how to tackle this, I was thinking:

1) Remove all rotten wood,
2) Put a later of cement down
3) cut pressure-treated wood to size
4) secure wood with Gorilla Grab Adhesive
5) Paint

This is the current situation:

Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice would be appreciated!

5 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

u will prob need to replace damp course membrane if it is at same level on brickwork u will need to investigate this further


Answered 28th Dec 2019

I agree that you should lay a DPM under the threshold first, before to the new mortar, with enough width to create an upstand behind the threshold.

You will also need to shape the new timber as close to the original as possible, hopefully there is a complete cross section you can use as a template. External thresholds have to keep water out, a flat piece of timber will allow water to pass under the door and into the house. if you cannot match the original try to shape the timber so that the front edge is gently sloped towards the outside, there is a flat section under the door and then a step up behind the door, not massive but just to keep water out and help draft proof. Looking at the bottom corner on the side of the door will be helpful for measurements.

Treated or not its always a good idea to paint the underside and ends of the threshold before you put it in.


Answered 30th Dec 2019

suggest using hardwood..


Answered 30th Dec 2019

The job isn't clear, is it the cill of a door frame that has rotted or is it the lower part of door

1. If door and rest of door is solid you could cut away the rotten piece and scarf in a replacement piece, glue and screw, decorate to match.

2. If Cill of frame, cut away cill, replace with metal storm guard and adjust door as required.


Answered 30th Dec 2019

You would have to investigate how far the damp has gone. For the less hassle you could buy the whole frame that way will last longer as you won't be patching up old. Also yes if it's at damp level you will need to replace this too.


Answered 30th Dec 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories