Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Extension drawings

I am looking to have an double extension and will require planning permission and building regulations drawings. Is it possible to just get building reg drawings and use them for both the planning permission and building regulations submission?

6 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

Not really. They are two different types of drawings prepared at different scales with different drawing conventions containing different types of information. One commissions an Architect to provide drawings for a Planning submission first and if the application receives Planning consent, then commissions a Detailed Design which the outputs of which are drawings suitable for a Full Plans Building Control Application. The services of a Structural Engineer may also be required for the Building Control stage.
Best wishes Lee Davidson RIBA


Answered 17th Dec 2019

You can use the Building Regulation drawing for a planning application as long as all existing and proposed elevations are drawn.


Answered 17th Dec 2019

Yes. The only consideration is that you may not get Planning for what your Architect or Designer is Drawing or there might be a query and you would then have to revise the Drawings. You will probably pay the same amount. Suggest look at other designs that have been passed then do the Drawings.


Answered 17th Dec 2019

Hi, It is normally for planning permission drawings first. Then these drawings plus extra cross sectional drawings and notes form the full plans building regulations. Hope this helps.


Answered 17th Dec 2019


We would need to carry out a measured survey to create a basic set of plans which are then developed once approved by planning, in essence both are required if you want construction stage plans.


Answered 18th Dec 2019


I see where you are coming from. It could be possible but would not in my opinion be advisable.

The reason I say that is that you may wind up paying more fees upfront for a more detailed set of drawn and written information to achieve building regulations consent for a scheme that does not meet planning requirements and which could then necessitate rework and further fees to achieve it.

Planning is a longer approval process and should in my view be dealt with first, often with pre-application liaison with the local authority planning department first to increase chances of a positive outcome.

I hope that helps.


Answered 10th Jan 2020

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories