Ask a tradesman


Is my circuit correct?

Hi all,

I’ve recently had work done for a new kitchen. The kitchen has its own DB with an 80A 30mA RCD and is supplied from the main board via a 16A breaker.

The 16A breaker on the main board keeps tripping when the Cooker and other appliances are on. The cooker draws 51.3A (11.2KW) according to instructions and is on a 6mm cable with a 32A breaker.

Does this sound correct and what could be the problem otherwise?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Edit: The main DB 16A is feeding the second DB with a 10mm SWA Cable. The second DB has an 80A 30mA main switch, cooker on a 32A breaker run with 6mm cable, sockets on a 32A breaker, lights on a 6A and a separate single socket on a 16A breaker.

Electrics were indeed done by an electrician separate to the kitchen fitter.

6 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

The circuit breaker on the main consumer unit feeding the kitchen consumer unit needs to be 32A or greater depending on the size of the cable supplying the kitchen CU, but 32A should happily suffice the kitchen usage.


Answered 1st Dec 2019

Could you clarify and expand on the information please. If the cooker and sockets are all routed to the same 16A breaker then you are correct in thinking that this is not right, whatever the wiring or other switchgear. Normally cookers and socket supplies are separate circuits back to the main consumer unit. Electrics not done by the kitchen fitter by any chance?


Answered 1st Dec 2019

It seems as if you need a bigger breaker in your main consumer unit, to feed the kitchen DB.
However, you need to know the size of cable feeding the kitchen DB before you can calculate the maximum size breaker you can use.


Answered 1st Dec 2019

I would call the original electrican back in as if what you are saying is corrrct. The kitchen is not corrrcy breaker hence why tripping.
Without seeing the layout etc difficult to give accurate information but calcs dont seem.correct
Otherwise get another electrican


Answered 1st Dec 2019

Please get a qualified electrician to look at this ?


Answered 2nd Dec 2019

It a completely wrong, submain from house dB should be a lot bigger than 16amp. I personally put a 50amp supply at a guess, a professional electrician should be able to work out correct cable size etc etc. Good lock


Answered 2nd Dec 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories