Damp Proofing Question

What can i do about damp in bay window of 1900's house?

On one side of my bay window there is a patch of damp that is about an inch thick and approx one metre from the ground. I had it re plastered about 3 years ago but the damp has now returned. I have had a few specialists out who cannot find where the water is coming from (a couple of them suggested a crack in the exterior render) but I have had a quote to remove all interior plaster and re plaster and then inject the outside wall. I am not sure what to think as I did a bit of research online and came across a few websites that said injecting into walls was wrong and rising damp was a myth. Feeling a bit confused so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 Answers

without looking at the problem it is impossible to say exactly what is causing it. but would check the window seals,flashing on the bay roof.
you can inject but this will not stop the water ingress and without finding the source you will not solve the problem

Answered 20th Mar 2012

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

There is strong evidence that dismisses rising damp. It makes interesting reading just because of the fact that we are one of very few countries that use a damp course. Based on that you could conclude the water is coming from above the area, as you have a bay window you could assume that the water could potentially enter the wall in many different areas related to the bay window, ie lead failure, frame failure, maybe a blocked air brick... or more than a few reasons. Its worrying that experts cant find a definitive reason though... As already mentioned without looking its a guessing game.

Answered 21st Mar 2012

Local patios and driveways

Member since 24 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions