Conversions - General Question

Converting an extension

I am wanting to convert a single room extension into 2 rooms and a wc/shower room. This will involve changing 2 windows. What permissions will I need for this work.

5 Answers

Best Answer

Dependent on your local Council, you probably wont need planning permission, but you will need to notify them, regarding building regs.
Couple of things they will want to see are, windows fitted by fensa reg company,
Drainage alterations, ie installing shower,and w/c, ventilation and mechanical ventilation.
Any alterations to electrics will need to be checked, lintols, insulation.
These are all easy enough to comply with, just ring your council first and they will advise you, they may only want to come out when completed.
You will get your certificates from your electrician and window fitter, make sure this is agreed beforehand, otherwise the concil will check and charge a fee.

Answered 1st Apr 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi claire

You will need building regulations, by means of set of drawings and calcs to show proposed changes, just so it shows materials you use that comply etc.

kind regards

Answered 1st Apr 2011

JS Loft Conversions

Member since 12 Mar 2011

Hi, you will need to get Building Control involved because of the drains and an extractor will need to be installed. I would give the Council a call, or pop in with some scetches of your proposal . Every job is differant and you should also consider a means of escape in case of fire.
You should need not planning permission, but its worth asking the planning dept. when you pop into the council offices.

Hope this helps

Building Additions

Answered 1st Apr 2011

Building Additions

Member since 13 Aug 2009

changing windows like for like is no problem changing sizes or re-positioning will need planning permission, if splitting the room requires making a new door opening you will need building regs, best talking to council planning for advice,regards Terry

Answered 1st Apr 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

Hello, did you need planning permission to build your extension and was it applied for? If so, you should just be able to amend your plans using something called a non-material amendment application which attracts a fee of £25. Simple drawings that you can do yourself with metric measurements on usually suffice. If you didn't need planning permission then you only need to sort building regs.
For building regulations I recommend you get in contact with the company/authority you did your regs through about the changes. They may be happy for you to go ahead with changes under a building notice which means you will not need new drawings but it can be more expensive than getting full plans approval (calcs etc. are signed off before work starts so this can prevent potential problems when building).



Answered 2nd Apr 2011

UK Property Services

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions