Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Fire door seal building regs

Why are there surface mounted fire seals 30min rated available if people are saying you can't use them? Thanks Martin for your answer

I'm renovating a house to covert to a 4 bed HMO. Don't need building regs or a HMO license.
I have had interlinked smoke detectors and heat detectors throughout but not fire doors or frames.

I have read about Surface Mounted Intumescent Strips and wondering if these can be used instead of routering door frames or doors?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

This is not recommended.The best option is to router out the door frame.


Answered 5th Oct 2019

I’m sure you could use the surface mounted intumescent strip but I’d recommend routing them into the door, also change the door jams to thicker ones.


Answered 5th Oct 2019

There is no alternative, you must router out the door as specified, then insert the correct fire imtumescent strip top and sides of the door, if it's a passage door the appropriate smoke seal


Answered 5th Oct 2019

You need to have the building compliant in HMO frames, doors partitioning have to carry minimum of 30 minute fire rating. Seek professional help


Answered 5th Oct 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories