Plastering Question

Builders report required

We have a problem with damp in one of the rooms in our house, and we think its coming from damage caused from a conservatory build by our next door neighbours. We have contacted our insurance company who are requesting a Builders Report which should assess the situation and confirm the cause of the problem and an estimate of the cost.

Is this something a builder can produce or should it be a survey conducted by a surveyor?

Thanks in advance


4 Answers

Best Answer

A good reputable builder should be able to assess the damage, do a written report, and cost of rectifying.
Also a builder will be a lot cheaper than a surveyor, who may do it free if he thought he would get the work.
Normally Insurance Co would want three prices.

If the damage was done by your neighbour, they should be liable for it.
Post your requirements in Post a Job on My Builder and get some local tradesmen in to assess, and price.

Answered 31st Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

There should be no problem getting a report done by a builder .
The builder should have no personal involvement between you or your property

Answered 31st Mar 2011

Am property srevices (norty west) ltd

Member since 21 Feb 2010

If your insurance need a report it better you go to a surveyor.
He will have all the correct meters,
And see if you can get your builder to call at the same time and he will be able to quote.

Answered 31st Mar 2011

jsb builders

Member since 14 Jul 2009

always best to get a surveyor.

Answered 31st Mar 2011


Member since 25 Nov 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions