Central Heating Question

Electrics driving me mad!

So I got my elecs sorted when I bought my flat a few years ago and its all elec no gas. I got a new water heater when I moved in and it has been nothing but grief. After several expensive efforts I have been told the elec is getting lost somewhere between my fuse board and the heater itself so I need a separate wiring job done. I just need someone to do it for me as I'm not happy having another guy turning up telling me I need a new thermostat. I've had 3 already!!

3 Answers

A good electrican should be able to pinpoint where your fault is, ie the electric is getting lost.
As you state you need some one to do it for you, place your job in the Post a Job section on My Builder and Im sure you will get it all checked and sorted out.

Answered 31st Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

your heater would have to be some distance from the fusebox to suffer voltage drop,I suggest that you get an electrician to check the voltage at the heater and check the current draw when the heater is switched on, hope this helps Terry.

Answered 31st Mar 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

an electrician would check wether it is the thermostat in 5 mins andwould not change it unless absolutely sure.. anyone checking a heater circuit should do a continuity test R1/R2, and an insulation resistance test 1st of!. this will tell wether there is a short circuit, a leak to earth or the conductors (wire) insulation is deteriorated.

Answered 31st Mar 2011


Member since 25 Nov 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Heating Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions