Loft Conversions Question

Loft boarding up

Our current house has a loft ladder, leading to a boarded up loft, with wooden flooring, plastered/painted walls and eaves cupboards (no windows). It's effectively a fully usable loft room but without windows and we use this as an office and store room.

We'll shortly be moving house and would like to have the same at our new place - not a full on loft conversion but a loft ladder installed and flooring laid with strengthening as required, lights put in etc so that we can put in shelving and use it for easy storage and walk around without fear of falling through the floor boards.

Am I right in thinking that we wouldn't need any planning permission to do this as we're not using it as a room (we wouldn't use it as an office in this property - just for storage)?

Who's best to contact about potentially strengthening the floor and getting boards down, putting lights in and installing the ladder. I can lay the flooring down, do the wall etc once this has been done. Will a loft conversion company do this type of thing or can any builder do it?

3 Answers

Best Answer

You will not need planning permission as even a full structural loft conversion is considered permitted development as long as all limits and conditions are met (see the planning portal for these)

However, I'd strongly advise speaking to building control at you local council. Explain what you are thinking and what you want to achieve and they'll advise on the requirements you need to fulfil.

Answered 14th Mar 2012

Urban Space

Member since 14 Mar 2012

Hi yes you dont need planning permission once your not using it for habaitation ( to live in). For storage just use up about half the loft area usally around the middle of loft floor this is usally the best place to lay weight onto becuse there should be a soild wall under there. you will know if you see timbers runing from the loft floor to the roof. They are there to hold up your roof <do not cut out> If you keep your flooring with in this area you should not have much problems with the ceiling deflecting(cracking) on 1st floor i would say a builder or loft conversion company can do this works. if your not sure contact a structural engineer on this matter

Answered 11th Mar 2012

Harrow Lofts

Member since 13 Dec 2011

I did one of these recently, If the room is for storage only you dont need permision although strenghthening the floor is very advisable.
The only thing im pretty sure you will need to do is talk to building regs at your local council office, again i dont think you need this but if there is a floor they could be funny about it.
Also any building firm can do this work for you.
If you are are anywhere near the midlands i would be happy to give you a quote or just some more advise if needed.
Thanks Mat Wow Joinery

Answered 11th Mar 2012

wow joinery

Member since 7 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions