Conversions - General Question

We are buying a semi detack

detached house. The side of the wall is bowed slightly. The surveyor is convinced this is not a problem and normal with these victorian houses. Is this the case.

2 Answers

It depends ,
If it is a cavity wall it could mean the wall ties have corroded, a cavity wall tie inspection would be required.
If it is a solid wall then yes you do get some bowing from previous movement , however it is always wise to get a structural engineer to look , not cheap but could save you a fortune if there is a fault.

Answered 12th Mar 2012


Member since 25 Nov 2009

A building surveyor just looks at the wall aesthetically, a Structural surveyor will look at the integrity of the wall and advise if it needs any additional work doing to it or if it's ok in its present state.
Better to get the right people to look at it early as it may prove expensive later on.

Answered 21st Mar 2012


Member since 2 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions