Ask a tradesman

Hard Flooring

Subfloor - noisy loose flooring

I haven't as yet pulled any carpet up or anything, but my subfloor (if I think I'm calling it correctly) seems to be loose and as such is sunken in some areas and rocks in others, quite springy in places. It's not wood boards I don't think. I'm sure it's more of a chipboard affair.

Regardless. If I was to replace it, what's the best thing to do it with? Plywood? OSB? Something Else? I want to do it across the flooring of the house on the same level (So bedrooms & Bathrooms).


5 Answers from MyBuilder Flooring Fitters

Best Answer

The chances are if it is chipboard it could be 18mm, if it is the the centre's of your joists should really be 400mm but could be 600mm as you would do for 22mm chipboard. Best coarse of action will be to screw all chipboard flooring to the joists then lay 12mm plywood over the top screwing it every 100mm. That should stop any bouncing or squeaks. Unless of course your floor joists are rotten in which case you will need to replace those then lay new 22mm chipboard.


Answered 15th Aug 2019

Personally I will go for: 18mm x 600mm x 2400mm Softwood Tongue & Groove WBP Plywood. Also is good to add some Rockwool RWA 45 or similar between the joists for thermal, acoustic and fire insulation. Alternatively you can add some rubber acoustic strips on top of the joists to absorbs the impact noice.


Answered 18th Aug 2019

Best method would be to rip up all the old flooring. Have a look at the joist and see if there's noggins (bits of timber put in the gap between each joist) this helps strengthen the floor. Then glue and screw chipboard flooring down(18mm if joist are 400mm centres or 22mm if it's 600mm centres)


Answered 18th Aug 2019

If the flooring is structurally weakened. I would recommend taking the chipboard up. Inspect the joists. Repair or replace if needed, and replace with either 22mm t&g chipboard flooring, tonge and groove plywood flooring or normal 22mm t&g floor boards.


Answered 24th Aug 2019

Open up floor at joists ends to check for rotten ends,wallplate if any ,and also damp proof membrane, this will also let you inspect under floor in general, every sheet should land on centre of joists and be staggered every row, p.v.a wood glue should be applied to all perimeter tongues and nailed or screwed down.
If end joints don't land on centre of joists then Dwangs (noggin in England) need to be placed at right angles to joists as necessary.
Further sheeting over will usually mean trimming doors too.


Answered 24th Aug 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories