Ask a tradesman


Do i need planning permission to enlarge an existing concrete hard standing for a car from 3metres wide by 5 metres long to 4.7 metres wide by 5metres long

original pathof 1.8metres wide joined to car hard standing

6 Answers from MyBuilder Driveway Pavers

Best Answer

I agree with Mick, you should be ok, but ring your local Council.
In my area there is a company who specialise in block paving, they have just been pulled by the Council regarding laying impervable paving and want to see there records of driveways done over the last couple of years.
The council here are quite strict about rain water run of and drainage.
But I think you should be ok with your small addition best to check first.


Answered 30th Mar 2011

By rule of thumb it's always advised to inform your local council of intended works to be carried out so that it is on record for "if" you ever intended selling the house, however if the extra 1.7 mtrs of land is deemed as your property as per the deeds to your house then you should not have any problem with the intended works.

Hope the above helps.

Kind Regards



Answered 30th Mar 2011

if you can run water into flower beds or grass on your land your ok.


Answered 17th Apr 2011

yes md landscapes are right,if the rain water drain towards a flower bed or the driveway is used with permeable driveway blocks then you are of,if is more than 5sqm then you will have to apply for a permit
regards peter


Answered 28th May 2011

Looking at the size of the new driveway I would say there is a strong chance you need planning permission with the total area being over 5 square metres and the surface being impermeable but double check with your Council. If you deffinitely need permission, and you want to avoid the costs associated with it, have you thought about a permeable surface or perhaps doing a gravel driveway instead? This would prevent surface water draining onto a highway and is another solution.




Answered 2nd Apr 2011

you Should check with your planning depaertment. there are restrictions in some councils as to how much of your front garden you are allowed to pave over. this is because when it rains the water is not soaking into the ground and causing flooding. Also there maybe planning issues if your in a conservation area.


Answered 31st Mar 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories