Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Which door to choose

Hi, I am looking into changing my front door to my flat. I am aware that it would have to be a fire rated doors. On all the websites I have visited, they insist on selling me their door from their selection together with fittings. I'm not interested in that as all of them companies are charging obscene amount of money. I would like to choose my own style fire doors that are affordable but of good quality. I dont want any glazing in them either. There is a good selection of fire rated doors on website leaders doors and windows and also on the website All I need is a person to fit them for me. Would you, kind people, advise me as to who I need? A carpenter, joiner? Ideally, I would like to get Fensa certificate to say that it's been fitted with accordance and requirements of building regulations. How can I go about it? Thank you for any answers.

4 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

this should be bread and butter to any decent joiner on this site who should all be knoweledgable about the current fire regs that apply,ie correct fire rated door,its furnisings,closers,intermesent strips etc,just ask,as these are as important as the door itself


Answered 19th Jul 2019

Standard firedoors in various patterns can be purchased from any reputable builders merchants they have different ratings 30minutes to 1 hr and can be purchased just as a door no hardware although you do need hinges that meet fire regulations and smoke seals and closer etc -im not sure if timber doors can be fensa approved they certainly come with certification and have to be fitted in accordance with manufactures guidance -a good tradesman can certainly make it to meet legal requirements


Answered 29th Jul 2019

Door Stop have a good range of external fire doors I have used them in the past and would highly recommend them. Their website is


Answered 29th Jul 2019

If you are a lease holder you will need to ask the free holders permission, and what certificates they will require from you once the door is fitted. Some local authority’s require the door to be fitted by a certified fire door installer and then the door would need to be certified by a 3rd party to ensure it has been fitted correctly. You should look for a fire door set ie already fitted in a frame with all the correct ironmongery fitted. It’s also worth checking if you actually need a fire door. If you can exit your flat and turn left and right to an escape exit, ie have a stair case at either end of the balcony, you might not need to have a fire door. But do check with the council first as fit doors are very expensive.


Answered 9th Aug 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories