Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Permitted planning

I am looking to extend the ground floor of our house, 12x3m.

Whilst I am aware, this is within PD; the traditional extension build, would still need to be regulated , with correct footings, insulation, etc etc.

So, the alternative, I am looking at, is an all glass lean-to / conservatory. Would I simply just apply a pre-certificate of lawfulness? Would this be the easiest route, as opposed to the traditional build?

5 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

You should go for a Certificate of Lawful Development for the Planning matter and for Building Regulations either a Notice of Commencement or Full Plans which I much prefer as it is more certain of securing compliance and avoids misunderstandings and costly delay during construction. The side extension . night not be P D


Answered 23rd Jun 2019

You are confusing planning and building control. Permitted Development is about planning consent, a Lawful Development Certificate (optional) is to confirm that a proposal is permitted development in planning terms. Neither of these are related to Building Regulations and it would be recommended to obtain building control approval for the construction for legal purposes when you come to sell the house and for your own peace of mind. To count as a conservatory for building control purposes the original external wall of the house would need to be kept and the space would be unheated. If you are still intending to knock through to form an open plan space then this is a glass extension which may not achieve the glazing and thermal requirements under building regs.


Answered 25th Jun 2019

Permitted Development will regulate your right to build under planning aspect while for DPC or all building details should comply with Building Control which comes soon after the planning stage has been completed. The level of information between planning or Lawful Development Certificate and Building Control are different. The level of details to be shown at planning stage are not necessary the same required for Building Control approval.


Answered 26th Jun 2019

With the assumption that your extension in 12m wide by 3m deep there is no issue this falls in the PD limits. However there is another scheme that does not cost any money and still provides you with the relevant documentation of approval. Submit plans under the Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme, there is no fee associated to this.


Answered 30th Jun 2019

Permitted development only covers extensions that are of a similar material to that of the existing dwelling. Where historically glazed conservatories have been accepted as permitted development, your local authority should be consulted on this as authorities have a different perception of this.
Importantly, permitted development extensions generally should be no wider than half the width of a dwelling - the national planning portal provides specific regulations relative to each form of permitted development.
Any later building regulations applications need to take into account YOUR knowledge and trust of a builder and their knowledge, where due diligence on your part is priority. A building notice application without the use of an architect puts total emphasis on the builder's experience and knowledge - if you are in doubt consult an architect.
A lawful building certificate is recommended in all instances - even with any planning approvals obtained. This will legally ensure your built product adheres to planning policy - permitted development or a successful planning-approved scheme.


Answered 1st Jul 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories